Friday, July 10, 2009

Today is a new day...

Yesterday was one of my bad days. My body was just so exhausted that I couldn't do much of anything. So the gym was out of the question. But you do need to let your body rest so I didn't feel too bad. I was also a little depressed at my plateau. I've been here for about a week and I don't like it. I hope it doesn't last long and I start losing weight again. On the plus side, I tried on a pair of jeans that is 2 sizes smaller and I can almost wear them. I was able to get them on and zipped up, but they were a little snug. So I think if I can shed another 10 pounds, I will definitely be able to wear them!!!

I am always trying to find alternatives for foods that I love so that I don't have to do without them. Last night at work I was talking with a friend and found out that I can still have one of my favorite quick meals, chili cheese dogs!!! I found some turkey franks by ballpark that are only 45 calories and no fat. I also got some hot dog chili sauce that is only 10 calories per tbsp. and also no fat. Then I found some fat free shredded cheddar cheese that is 45 calories per 1/4 cup. I would probably only use half of that. But even if I used the whole serving, that is 100 calories and no fat for such a yummy treat. I have been staying away from buns but if I use one, I would only use half of the bun so that is 60 calories. Oh I am so excited that I am going to have one for lunch accompanied by a salad.

Here is my question for the day. When I do the elliptical at the gym, I can only do it for 30 mins. Sometimes I see the people next to me chugging along for about an hour and think "how the heck can they do that." Then I look at their settings and see that their resistance is much lower then what I have mine on. When you are trying to lose weight and not tone your muscles, what would be better? Should I lower the resistance and go longer/faster on the elliptical, or should I keep my higher resistance and go for a shorter period of time? I am so clueless about this workout stuff!!! I just don't want my huge thunder thighs to turn into muscle LOL!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have no scientific research behind this, but I would assume you should lower the resistance and go for a longer time. I think higher resistance builds bulk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I agree with Wee Monkey. The cardio is going to burn the calories, although strength training will, too. Interval training is the best in my experience, where you do like 5 minutes of low resistance, and then 2 of high resistance, etc. for a period of at least 30 minutes.

    As for the plateau, the same thing happens on Biggest Loser every year! The people lose a ton of weight the first 2 weeks (or is it 1?) and then hit a plateau. Just keep at it, and it'll start to melt off again! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job finding healthy alternatives for your favorite foods! I am working on that also!

    I had to take a day of complete rest last week, actually it was the week before that. I could hardly hold myself up.

    I think they gave you some good work out advice. I don't think I can top it. :) You are doing sooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete